Tuesday, April 2, 2013

DAYS 22, 23, 24

I am a bit mixed up on our days.  Sometimes they seem to run together, especially in west Texas which has all been along Route 90.  This route running from El Paso to San Antonio is a very old route used by Native Americans, Spanish explorers and the Mexican Military.  Most of the towns along here are mostly abandoned due to the Interstate.

After we left the Indian Lodge we had a wonderful downhill and a relatively easy ride of 60 miles to Marathon, Texas where we stayed at the historic Gage Hotel.  I was in the old part which was full of old west memorabilia.  The new part is beautiful adobe section with very nice plantings.

We passed through Alpine where I had John, the Bikeman, tighten up my breaks.  Things have working loose on the chip seal roads.
The brake cables had also stretched.  

Saturday we went from Marathon to Sanderson,  Texas.  This 56 mile has not one store or town so we have to rely on our SAG vehicle for water and snacks.

I had planned to attend the Easter sunrise service in Sanderson and then bump 60 miles to lunch as this was 111 mile day.  Unfortunately I was up all night vomiting so I spent the day in the van.  Again it was another long stretch of Route 90 but a good day for riding.  I may have to take tomorrow off to recover.  Hydrating and fueling on this trip are real challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment