Thursday, March 28, 2013

DAY 18 AND 19 VAN HORN TO FORT DAVIS AND A REST DAY

Our internet service is a bit slow so no photos today.  We are at the Indian Lodge in Davis State Park.  It is lovely.  It is an old adobe inn by the Conservation Corps in the 1930's.  I took a 2 mile hike up and down a long ridge with beautiful views of the mountains and MacDonald Observatory.  I wanted to visit the Observatory but we couldn't find any transportation.  Our van was taking people to Fort Davis to do laundry and run errands.

Back to yesterday.  Yesterday was considered one of the hardest days of the trip.  It was a 90 mile day with the first 30 on Interstate 10.  That was the easy part, with only minor winds.  After leaving the interstate the ride turned south toward Fort Davis.  The van meet us at mile 48 with a picnic lunch.  Cher and I were late leaving (8:30) due to my breaking my valve stem and having to change a tire.  We could not leave earlier as we have just changed time zones and it would have been dark.
We biked to lunch and then were loaded onto the van with 11 others.  The next 40 miles was mostly up hill with the top being at MacDonald Observatory at about 6,500'.  11 of our group rode this piece.  I would have been in at midnight.  It was a beautiful road but 12% grade in places.
I am hoping to see Javelinas.  These are pig-like animals but really related to rhinos!  I love west Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment