Friday, April 5, 2013

DAY 29 REST DAY IN KERRVILLE, TEXAS

We are on a rest day in Kerrville, Texas.  Cher and I went shopping and bought cowboy hats (crushable to fit in our luggage) and COWBOY BOOTS. 

We spent Wednesday night in Vanderpool at the Foxfire Cabins.  They are a small group of cabins next to the Sabine River.  We are in the Texas Hill country which is green and lovely.  Spring is just coming and the trees are starting to bloom.  I didn't ride Wednesday which was cold, rainy and hilly.  I am still recovering from whatever plagued me.
Thursday I rode half the ride from Vanderpool to Kerrville.  It was for me the most beautiful ride so far.  It was through the hill country on windy, steep roads.  The weather was about 65 degrees and no wind.  One mile long hill was reportedly 14% grade.  I took one look and promptly dismounted the bike and walked.  The views were stunning and I enjoyed the even slower pace of walking.
I got into Kerrville early and had my bike tuned up at a wonderful bike shop, Hill Country Bicycle Works.  They were expecting our large group and had lots of people to work on bikes.  The owner (who spent 3 years bike touring the world with his wife) replaced my chained, trued my wheel and adjusted my brakes.  She is now running very smoothly.
We are staying at the YO Ranch Resort which apparently has a game ranch associated with the hotel.
 Texas hill country
 Longhorn cattle
 Top of a roughly 10% downhill
Below: Lucy and I at the Apple Store in Medina, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment