Sunday, April 14, 2013

DAYS 35, 36, 37, 38

 My Texas bike socks



 Our guides at our morning snack table
 At the Louisiana state line
Johnny Johnson, with his veteran's cap
I am finally able to log on to the internet.  It seems when we get to a hotel everyone logs on and I can't get on.
Thursday we rode from Navasota to Cleveland, Texas, a 75 mile trip.  It started off cold with a bit of drizzle but turned into a nice day.  The ride was lovely and went through the Sam Houston National Forest which is full of tall pines.  The roads were good and the logging trucks always give us lots of room.

Friday we rode to Silsbee, Texas.  The ride was pretty featureless and was supposed to be 64 miles.  Cher and I missed a very obvious turn and did what we call "bonus" miles which amounted to 6 extra miles.  

Saturday we finally left Texas and entered Louisiana.  The roads are a bit rougher but not bad.  We really like the people. They are very friendly.  Cher had a nail through her tire early in the ride which involved changing both the tire and the tube.  Several people offered to help but she changed it with help from our SAG vehicle driver, Moira.

This is where I meet Johnny Johnson out in front of a small post office.  He wanted to know what we were doing and asked if we were fundraising.  He told me that he lost his wife of 45 years four months ago.  I told him about my fundraiser and he gave me $5.
I asked if I could take his photo and he asked if he could give me a hug.  I just love meeting people on the road and consider this a very special $5.

We spent the night in Lake St. Charles, LA.

Today is Sunday and we are in Lafayette, LA, a town of about 200,000 people.  I took the day off to get ready to try and ride a century ride tomorrow.  Our scheduled ride is 94 miles and another rider, Judy, and I are going to add 6 miles and see if we can do this.  Hopefully, there will be no headwinds.  I will report on my progress tomorrow.  I did ride around Lafayette a bit today.


No comments:

Post a Comment