Monday, April 8, 2013

DAYS 30, 31 AND 32

This trip is always full of surprises and for me they have usually been delightful ones.
I have a special request from my father-in-law, Richard, for photos of what he calls "our life-support vehicle".  He is printing out my blog for all the folks at Gorham House, a the retirement community where they live.    Our SAG  really is our life support.  They supply water, food and most importantly cheer us up and wait on us when we really need it.
Julie, in the lovely apron, is our SAG driver on this sunny day in central Texas.  
Day 30 we rode 65 miles from Kerrville to Blanco (rhymes with Plano).  It was a beautiful ride on ranch and farm roads.  The chip seal wasn't too bad and there were some nice rolling hills.  The weather has been cool which is great for riding.  I am really enjoying Texas.
Day 31 was from Blanco to Blastrop, just outside of Austin.  I had planned to meet the Bixler's, of Austin, for dinner.  About 15 miles into the 93 mile ride I developed brake problems.  I called our guide Carol and she tried talking me through a repair.   Cher and I are the only two with the center pull brakes (on our Terry bikes) but we couldn't fix the problem with my trusty multi-tool.  The SAG took us to the van and Carol couldn't fix them either.  We even were sent to a local hardware store where one of the employees who races bikes tried to fix but to no avail.
The Bixler's are my new bike angels.  The bike store in Blanco had a fire so they are out of service for awhile.  The Bixler's picked me up, took me out to dinner and I spent the night in Austin.  We are headed to a bike store this morning.  Bill, their son, diagnosed the problem last night.  I also had called Georgena Terry (the designer of my bike) who gave some advice on the brakes.  I still need some work on the cables so we are headed to a bike shop this morning.  Bill will then deliver me to La Grange in time for one of Linda's delicious dinners.  Many thanks to the Bixler's.

 A nice restroom at our lunch stop in Waring, Texas
Texas ranch below.

No comments:

Post a Comment